Sunday, October 20, 2013

Grandma - The Sweetest Name

I remember the day. The day you came into our world. The day that changed our lives forever. Eight years ago. When we went from being parents to .... duh duh duh ... GRANDPARENTS!

I'll admit. I was scared at first. And apprehensive. Me? A grandmother? I just couldn't see me fitting the mold. I'm youthful, ain't I? I'm not old, wrinkly and gray. (Well, maybe just a little white-ish ... ssshhhh! only you and my hairdresser are in on that secret!) People said I didn't even look old enough to have adult children. Now what would they say when I wear my grandparent badge?

I don't want to feel old. I want to keep my blinders on and believe I'm still young - vibrant - full of life - energetic .... oh I could go on and on....

A million thoughts and questions ran thru my mind. How will this change me? Will it alter the world's view of me? My view of the universe? Am I now ... gulp ... middle-aged? Am I ready for this new phase in my life?

I wrestled with my emotions while waiting your arrival. You represented such a big transition in my life, the structured comfortable world I was living in.

I remember the day. The day you came into my world. The day that changed my life forever. When I went from being a mom to a ... grandma. And oh, the joy that filled my heart the first time I held you in my arms, looked into your sweet blue eyes, gazed at your angelic little face. And then I knew. Everything was right in this world. Everything felt right about this new chapter in my life.

Today we celebrate your special day. But I can also celebrate my special day, too. The day I was given a very special title that I wear proudly ... GRANDMOTHER.

Happy birthday my precious grandson ... Grandma loves you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to get your feedback! Please comment below!