Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2013 Presidential Inauguration

What a beautiful day in Washington, D.C. !
 
2013 Presidential Inauguration Day - Preparation - Capitol Building
 
I love pomp. And pageantry. I love the historical traditions of it all. From the day the inauguration is held to the oaths of office. It's one of those days when I feel my most proudest to be an American. Oh, how I wish I could have actually been there in person to experience it all firsthand, to feel the excitement in my bones.

Then again, its nice to be watching from home where I can absorb lots of background info from all the commentary by the media on every news channel. I feel like a sponge, soaking up every bit of data they throw my way. Like: which president had the shortest/longest inaugural speech; whose bible was used during the recital of the oath of office; whose ceremony was held indoors due to weather; what the first ladies wore and who designed their outfits. I need to know it all!

But most importantly, I am so proud of America for choosing a great man to be our leader. That he was chosen because of what he stands for. What he hopes to accomplish for the good of the American people. And that it has nothing to do with the color of his skin. He's an American. I'm an American. As he said so eloquently in his speech, "WE THE PEOPLE". We are all part of this nation....whatever our race, whatever our ethnicity, whatever our gender and whatever party affiliation we may have or who we voted for in the last election. We all care about this great country and want what's best for it.

President Barack Obama: Inauguration Day 2009
 
And here we are 150 years from the term of perhaps one of our greatest presidents: Abraham Lincoln. From a time when a man of color could only dream of being free from slavery. To a time when a man of color can be elected to be the leader of the world's greatest country. And elected because of his beliefs, and not because of his race. Mr. Lincoln must surely be smiling from up above.

Most of all, I'm proud of us. We've come a long way baby!
 
Congratulations, Mr. President. And congratulations, my fellow Americans.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to get your feedback! Please comment below!