Tuesday, January 8, 2013

School After 50 - What Am I Doing Here?

Head is spinning. Hands are clammy. Heart speeding a mile a minute. Oh please don't let me start hyperventilating. Please!!

Breathe....breathe....you can do this. Don't let them see you sweat. How embarassing will that be?

I'm sitting in a chair. In a computer lab. Of a noted university. Surrounded by students young enough to be my children. Students who seem to be very confident. And most importantly, know what they're doing. Me? Not so much.

First clue I will not do so well: the computers are Apples. I'm a PC.

The course is only 6 weeks long. How the heck am I going to concentrate on learning the curriculum when I don't even know how to use the darn computer?

Why am I doing this to myself? Why did I think I could take college courses at my age? What was I thinking?

Not sure how this will end up. Will I have all my hair at the end of all this? Will my family be visiting me in the local mental health facility? Or god willing, will I be glad that I took the plunge and took a chance at being a middle-aged college student?

Stay tuned....I'll let you know how it all works out in 6 weeks.........

13 comments:

  1. Good for you for learning something new! Apples are easy to use - Command instead of Ctrl, Option instead of Alt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! My fingers keep going to the wrong keys and the Command and Control keys confuse me. But I've been keeping a cheat sheet near my keyboard in class to remind me!

      Delete
  2. The only reason all those kids in class with you are so sure of themselves is because they really have no clue what real life looks like. You've stared down and conquered things they haven't dreamed of yet. You'll rock this!

    Best wishes. I hope you have fun. Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind supportive words, Miss Robin. And thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. (((hugs))) your gonna do just fine...smart lady ...just rock it! You can do this!

    Damon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend! I need all the encouragement I can get!

      Delete
  4. Awesome place to be... you'll rock this one out!! I was terrified when I returned to school also. But it was worth it! Just remember to breathe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes....breathe in...breathe out...glad to hear someone else shared my apprehension about returning to school. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Push posh my granny went to college at age 55 and graduated! You. Can. Do. This. Just keep an open mind and don't get discouraged by technology

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that I can get thru this. One class at a time, right? The technology is a little scary, tho. I've been taking lots of notes. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. YOU GOT THIS!

    that is all... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got this! You obvi are great on a computer because you have a blog. Now, tell us what you are taking. We need to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Kristiina. I feel like my computer skills are a slow work in progress; one little baby step at a time. Slow and steady wins the race, right?
      As for what I'm taking, its a class on Photoshop. Very challenging!

      Delete

Would love to get your feedback! Please comment below!