Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What Works?

On the flip side from my last post, I read another quote recently: "Nothing will work unless you do." - Maya Angelou.

That I believe. Do you?

I whole heartedly believe in working hard to achieve a goal. Sure, it'd be great if it all came easily. Lord knows, I've prayed for easy solutions and outcomes. Because let's face it, work is hard!

We all know people who want to take the easy road. If they have to work at something, they'll do their best to find the easy work-around. Maybe they're lazy? Maybe that's what they learned growing up so it's the only way they know? Maybe the easy way worked once and they're waiting for lightening to strike again?

Let me share a story: I have a good friend who likes to enter sweepstakes. She's been pretty successful and often shares her good fortune with family and friends. Many call her "lucky". Some have been jealous. But she'd be the first person to tell you how hard she works. She doesn't depend on luck. She invests a lot of time, effort, and, yes, WORK into her hobby. And it pays off. As I believe it should. She's not firing off an entry blank here and there. She's at it day and night. Follows the rules to the letter and supports the sponsors. But her critics still claim she's "lucky". They pout and say they never win. Well, as she often replies, "You can't win if you don't enter." Which to me means, how do you expect to get anything if you don't put any effort into it?

I truly believe if you put your heart and soul into something, then you'll reap the fruits of your labor. Sometimes you might not get exactly what you want or what you hoped for but you may get what you need (see "You Can't Always Get What You Want" - Jagger/Richard).

For me, the satisfying feeling of accomplishment is multiplied ten-fold when I've succeeded at something I tried really hard for. So yes, not much will work for me unless I do. It's up to me. Make it work!

1 comment:

Would love to get your feedback! Please comment below!